Tuesday, June 27, 2006

I'm Melting!!

Not much new has gone on since my last post. I have crazy busy but it is all the same. Checking traps, taking bird song surveys, setting up and taking down transects. However, yesterday and today have been way too hot to work 13 hour days out in the field. I think I almost got heat stroke yesterday. We started at our usual 6:30 in the morning and I was pretty warm already by the time we got to our plot. By noon I was sure I had a white nose with a red face, by 4:00 I was so hot I had goose bumps. We decided to take a break and go to the store to get more to drink and sit in the truck. Then we went back for two more hours and I got goose bumps again right before we headed back to Twin. At least this time I wasn't dehydrated but I was defiantly overheated. Today was still pretty bad but we were back in Twin by three and got to enter the data in a nice cool office.
This weekend I am supposed to go camping in Rock City, about 45 mins from Twin, with some co-workers. I think I am going to take Monday off as well as the 4th. I have the choice to work regular hours on the 3rd like everyone else, use one of my two paid holidays or use some of my overtime as comp time. No matter what I do I will still get my 40 hours. I really wanted to go see my sis but it does not seem possible to watch fireworks in Seattle on the 4th and get back to Twin by 6:30 the 5th.
I can see that everyone appears to be melting right along with me no matter where you guys are. If anyone has any good ideas to stay cool when outside with no shade please send them my way!! I have been thinking about just jumping in the Snake River at lunch instead of eating but haven't had the guts to yet.

9 Comments:

Blogger Jailgy said...

Please be sure to drink enough and don't overdo it. I remember that white nose/red face look from soccer days. The gardeners that had to work in the heat in our yard would get a lightweight towel soaking wet and drape it over their heads under their hats. They looked liked Mexican Arabs. Still, I think it would be better to be definitely hot than defiantly hot, but I know you.

12:01 AM  
Blogger Jailgy said...

P.S. I fixed it so anyone, namely En, can leave anonymous comments.

12:03 AM  
Blogger SAJ said...

dump your water bottle on your head. that's what I do. :)

11:26 AM  
Blogger Jailgy said...

No, no, no. Drink the water. Don't risk getting dehydrated. Unless you brought lots of water then dump it on your head. The towel will make it last longer. Is the river safe to jump into?

1:17 PM  
Blogger Gliterwolf said...

There were people swimming in the river up stream so it should be safe. It has white water in it too and I think that means it isn't stagnant. The water on the head does feel good (I did try that right before we left so I didn't run out of drinking water before we got to the store). However, I think the towel will save my neck from sunburn too. Maybe a reusable ice pack under my hat.

9:35 PM  
Blogger Gliterwolf said...

BTW we are going to City of Rocks not Rock City. But there has been talk of going to the mountains insead of staying down here where it is hot and we all have been working all week.

9:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

now i forget what my comment was going to be :) -N

12:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Put your underwear in the freezer the night before :)

I've tried it. It doesn't work, mind you, for more than 10 seconds. But it's fun to lie and tell your co-workers - "I'm not hot. I put my .. etc"

6:41 AM  
Blogger Kedge said...

I've heard of putting your contacts in the fridge...blue ice in your hat, I think i've even seen a blue ice belt. Anyway, wet is the best. Whether it's socks, shorts, hat, shirt, bra, it creates condensation or something. Also a wet towel on your head

7:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home