Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Building the case


My week is now half over since I only work Monday through Thursday. At 6 am today we went out into the field again and took some surveys. The first was a 10 min survey of the bird calls in the area, then we went to check the small mammal traps we set out yesterday. We caught two Great Basin Pocket mice and four Deer Mice. (The one with the big ears is the Deer Mouse).
Not great numbers considering we set out 80 traps but at least none of them were dead. I suppose it proves the point that the habitats that have been overrun with cheetgrass can't support a large diversity or number of animals and the reason the cheetgrass has taken over is because the cattle have destroyed the ground crust. Then as my two other teammates set up another reptile array I walk the reptile transects and I found absolutely no reptiles. Same case in point. I also took a picture of a lily which is the state flower of Utah for you Mum.:)All that grass in the background is cheetgrass.


Back to my personal life I finally took some pictures of my house and the window above the garage is my room. It is a nice four bedroom house with three baths and it is only about two years old. It has a nice size backyard but it is not done being landscaped yet.
Today a windstorm with a little thunder and lightning rolled in at about 4 pm and that is why the sky is all grey in the middle of June. It was rather fun with all the wind!

2 Comments:

Blogger Jailgy said...

Nice picture of the lily, better than the official one on the Utah website! I like it, maybe it will grow here. I'm glad you didn't kill more of the animals you are trying to protect. Do you have much furniture in that big house? Is your car in the garage? What colors? Please tell more.

12:57 AM  
Blogger Gramma said...

Over the garage AGAIN?

4:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home